No idea why, but this year the garden produced the biggest tomatoes ever. They’re gorgeous and taste as good as they look.
I’ve had good tomato years before, but never at this size.
Yesterday’s lunch was built around this ingredient. It was based on a recipe from the Nutrition Action Newsletter, but switched up the greens and pumped up the protein.
- 1.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- Kernels from 1/2 ear of corn
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup mixed baby greens
- 1 – 2 Tbs roasted unsalted sesame seeds
- 1 – 2 Tbs crumbed goat cheese
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt.
- Gently toss in the corn, tomatoes, avocado, basil, and greens.
- Top with sesame seeds and goat cheese.
The basil was also from the garden, the corn—though not grown by me—was also Ontario fresh. Definitely worth using high-quality balsamic and olive oil for this.
Oh my God, so good.